COLLEGE LOFT - AUGUST 2008

My son was heading off to college, and his dorm didn't provide lofted beds, so we ended up building him one. The plans were available online, and we decided to make a few minor modifications. The frame is constructed of 2x6 and 2x4 lumber, and held together with 3/8 bolts. We used hex bolts instead of carriage bolts, since carriage bolts tend to spin out, becoming impossible to tighten. The bed took us about a day to build.

Everything went smoothly, even when we had to change the height of the bed platform once we got the frame into my sonís dorm room - after carrying it up to the fifth floor! Itís very sturdy, and very useful. Sorry I donít have any better pictures, but hereís the bed in the dorm room:

We opted to use regular nuts instead of the wing nuts specified in the plans. Some of the tolerances were a bit tighter, so I used a locknut instead of a nut and a lockwasher. We found using the nuts with a wrench and socket was easier than turning a bunch of wingnuts by hand or using a pair of pliers on them.

FYI - we saw a lot of other loft kits being used at the dorm, including one sold by Lowes, and they were very flimsy comparatively. I donít know that I would have felt secure with them. I pulled and yanked on the OP loft once my son and I had it finished, and it just wonít budge.

Total cost was around $125.

The end result is quite good. Quite a bit of lumber, but no complex construction, just a lot of precise measuring and drilling. It can be made with a circular saw, drill, and socket/wrench set, although I also used my chop saw. If you want to learn more about this or any other projects on this site, contact me.



This site is made of Recycle Logo
This WebSite is made with 100% Recycled Electrons