September 22, 2001 - Left for a rehearsal, and had gotten about 3/4 mile from my house at about 30 mph when the car started shuddering violently. I pulled off, expecting to see a flat, or something like that, but nothing. I got back on the road, and at any speed above about 6 mph, the shuddering started again. I made my way slowly back home, and parked it in the garage. I suspect a blown U-joint. Glad it didn't let go while I was on the Interstate last week!

September 17, 2001 - Finished installation of all the dress-up items at the last minute, and took off for Nebraska City for their Applejack Festival Car Show. The car ran well, and no problems with leaks, which is alway a worry with a new installation. Despite the rain, I got the car cleaned up for the show. Had to wipe it down a couple of times due to the showers, but it was only a light sprinkling, so it didn't affect the turnout. I didn't win anything in my class, but a very nice red 68 AMX won it's class, and there was a 69 Ambassador DPL at the show as well.

September 11, 2001 - In memory of the victims who died in today's tragic and brutal terrorist attack, and their family and friends. No words can adequately express the shock, horror, sadness, frustration and anger of the people of this nation, and their untold sympathy for those who suffered and are suffering. God Bless.

September 10, 2001 - I removed the old intake and carb (it was heavier than I remember!), and cleaned the mating surfaces of the head and block. I then coated the surfaces with gasket compound and surrounded the water jacket holes with RTV. I then placed the metal gasket in place, and installed the block off shims I had made in the exhaust cross-over openings. This will help keep the heat down in the intake. I carefully lowered the new intake into position (I used two guide studs on one head to help locate it), installed the stainless intake bolts, and torqued it down. Next, the carbeuretor was placed on the intake. Looks really sharp.

I will have more in progress photos soon. My digital camera was temporarily on the fritz, so I have several shots still in my film camera. Next will come a new Carter high flow fuel pump, painting the valve covers, and running new fuel line. I will also remove the TCS line and solenoid. I'm hoping to get it back up and running by this weekend.

September 5, 2001 - Work continues on removing the old intake and carb, and installing the new Performer intake and carb from Dolly. Here is what the engine bay looked like with the stock intake and carb (plus the new MSD stuff):

At this point, everything has been detached from the intake, and it is ready for removal. I will hopefully be able to remove it and do some clean-up tonight. My goal is to have the new intake on this weekend. I'm not sure if I will be able to retain the factory cruise control setup or not. I would like to, but the throttle bracket is a little different on the Edelbrock carb, so it may require a bit of fabrication. Otherwise, the swap is essentially a bolt in. I bought new stainless intake bolts, and I have some chrome valve covers I might put on as well.